Velveteen offers stylish clothes for girls and boys from 0 to 14 years old.With every collection, Velveteen brings to life a timeless vision of California childhood: bohemian chic, romantic, and stylish.
Created in 2013, Velveteen has already more than 150 top-tier retail stockists across 20 countries around the world, including famous children’s retailers Harrod’s, Harvey Nichol’s, Smallable and Neiman Marcus.
The first flagship store was opened last year in Hong Kong, in the luxury shopping destination of Lee Gardens.
Velveteen is now opening their first store in London in the prestigious destination of Notting Hill and thee second location in Hong Kong will open in August.
Travel the world with us at www.velveteenclothing.com
The brand has its roots in Indian artisan techniques, meaning all our clothing is finely crafted using a combination of traditional artistry such as hand-embroidery, hand dyeing and block printing. Our aim is to create beautiful, unique pieces that capture the magical marvel of childhood by combining timeless yet playful, carefree elegance with exquisite craftsmanship.
At present, we have an exciting and unique opportunity for a Assistant Children’s wear Designer to work in a team with our Creative Director and Design & Product Development Director. You will be responsible for assisting in designing our seasonal collections across all product categories, developing commercial products that are in line with Velveteen’s design aesthetic, philosophy and brand ethos. We are looking for a committed, hardworking, talented individual who is passionate about driving the brand forward and creating beautiful children’s clothing.
In return we offer a fun, flexible and collaborative working environment where your ideas, designs and contribution will have the opportunity to help shape the future of our rapidly growing brand.
- Assist in designing children’s RTW collections that are commercially astute and in line with the brand aesthetic.
- Participate in Color & Concept Development for each season. Research current trends for inspiration, techniques and silhouette
- Help to create mood / inspiration boards
- Manage sampling process from sketch to finished salesman samples, including daily communication with sample room and various suppliers, cost calculation, fittings and fit comments, ensure sample development is in line with company production schedule
- Work closely with suppliers to create and maintian a critical path/WIP, ensuring development deadlines are met on time, flagging issues early, helping to avoid and resolve problems and communicating changes to the team.
- Create flat sketches.
- Develop CAD design / artwork.
- Assist in managing fabric and trim development each season. Requesting fabric & trim development for new ideas, and follow up. Approve / Reject fabric or trim development that’s suitable for brand’s aesthetic & product margin goal.
- Build garment tech-packs for overseas manufacturers, including all design of each garment.
- Communicate with overseas partners on a daily basis regarding fabric development, sample status, bulk production and confirming design/ technical details & questions.
- Market research: Contemporary & luxury brand boutiques & department store, online retailers. Magazines, Blog, Trend & Forecasting subscription, Vintage / archive research.
- Print and embroidery design.
- Occasional overseas trips are expected.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Degree in Fashion Design – In Children’s wear an advantage.
- 1-3 years design experience.
- High taste level with a strong sense of fashion trends and commerciality.
- Knowledge of fabric/yarn construction.
- Excellent eye for trending themes, colors, prints and materials.
- Excellent illustration/presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, good follow through.
- Strong organizational, communication.
- Proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Patternmaking, draping and sewing knowledge preferred.
- Passionate and energetic self-starter.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- English, either native or bilingual proficiency in both spoken and written is a must.